Custom Search

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Outsourcing might affect my MINI fun

This past week was a wierd one for me. On Tuesday Warner Bros officially announced that they will be outsourcing their IT department to Capgemini. We all knew it was coming however the delivery of the news had a lot to be desired. It was a 6 min and 38 sec prepared speach, read directly from the piece of paper it was written on. None of the usual courtesy's, just a curt read of the letter with no question and answer period and a "This meeting is over" ending. Since I am a contractor I was not invited to the meeting, but one of my friends gave me the conference call number and I dialed in. I have to say it was one of the worst meetings I have ever heard. This really sucks, when I interviewed for the contract to hire job at Warner Bros 9 months ago, I specifically asked if they were going to outsource and they pretty much told me no. I had just gone through outsourcing at Disney, after working there for 9 years we got outsourced to IBM and I didn't want to go through that again. Well, I guess I have to go through it now. Needless to say they froze all the open positions in Oct and I did not get hired on directly. My contract officially ends on March 31st, with the possibility of an extension til Aug.

I have never been jobless before or collected unemployement but with the current econonmy I think it might be hard to find a job. (Actually, I'm not even sure I want to find another computer job, I've always wanted to have my own business.) So with that in mind a few months ago I started to think about cleaning house. Having a job that pays really well is awesome however there is truth to the statement that the more you make the more you spend. That is especially true for me, since it is just me and Niki I pretty much buy and do what I want with no thought of what it costs. Things have changed and as I look around my house and my garage I see that I have so much stuff that I don't need, like a really nice BMW that I rarely drive (ever since I got Woodstock), but I still make car payments on. So, instead of curtailing my MINI activities, I think I'm going to get rid of all the unecessary things (clutter) in my life and start fresh. With this new purpose in life even if I lose my job and can't find work for several months, at least I'll have something to keep me occupied.. So come to the SCMM DIY day in Febuary, hopefully I can get my act together and bring alot of the stuff that I no longer need or want. Also if anyone is interested, I'm selling the BMW for $20,000, its still under warranty..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the possible or probable job loss.

Yup I'd keep the MINI for sure. The Bimmer is cool and all but how many friends have you made driving a Bimmer. I hope do well in whatever you decide to do and if I ever decide to rejoin SCMM, mentally & physically,, I hope you will still be around as you are a really fun and fine person.

Robert

Hope said...

Joanne-
So sorry to hear about the job! I've been jobless before after being laid off and it's no fun, so I know what you are feeling!
Hang in there, and I hope that this will be a great opportunity for you to start your own business, instead of a negative thing! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Hope

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search