Custom Search

Monday, February 9, 2009

Why is the price of gas rising?

Why is the price of gas rising? It shouldn't be!!!

I'm baffled by this, I have been keeping a daily log of the price of gas at my local Arco gas station and the price of a barrel of oil since 11/17/08. I wanted to see if the cost of a barrel of oil really did have an effect on the price of gas. I also wanted to see if the demand for gas also has an effect on gas prices.

Well, all indications (for me anyway) is that none of these really control the price of gas. I'll give you an example: on 12/12/08 I recorded the cheapest price for the time period I have been collecting of $1.83 at Arco for 91 octane gas. On the same day the price of a barrel of oil was $49.22. Today, a barrel of oil sold for $39.56 and the price of gas at the same Arco just went up to $2.35 for premium.

Everything that I have read in the last several months states that demand for gas is at an all time low, so that means with the price of oil and demand declining, gas prices should be getting lower. Today a barrel of oil sold for $39.56. My calculations indicate the price of gas should be somewhere around $1.46 for premium, not $2.35

My conclusion is that the price of gas is not set by the price of oil, or by supply and demand but by the greedy highly profitable Oil Companies who wish to gouge us at every opportunity, but we already knew this. Now I have concrete evidence that proves to me that this is what they are actually doing.....

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speculators!

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search